Well, here I am - back again. It's Monday 26 August and it's been a week since I toddled off to hospital to have my gastric sleeve. What a week it's been!
My surgergy happened at the end of the day (unfortunately) so there was a lot of waiting around in pre-op which just added to the growing nerves, but eventually I was wheeled into theatre and it all began.
I woke up in post-op to find the nurse asking me if I had hypertension! Apparently my blood pressure was very high and was causing them some concern. I was very groggy but managed to say no, no history of it. I was kept in post-op for about 3 hours because of it though - so my poor husband who was ringing the hospital to find out how I was, was just getting told that I had not come back to the ward yet - he was starting to worry that something was wrong.
Eventually I was taken to my room and I was able to ring home and let them know I was okay. I was very tired but not really in any sort of pain, just a bit uncomfortable.
I stayed in hospital for 3 days and came home last Thursday afternoon. It's been a bit of a roller-coaster since then - some days better than others. My doctor told me to try and have 3 Optifast shakes a day as well as 3 litres of water! Well, there's just no way I can do it. The Optifast started giving me diarrhoea which is not fun, so I knocked it down to one a day (and eventually none) and replaced it with home-made chicken broth, a bit of flavoured milk and lots of water. Amazingly I am not hungry, but smelling the family dinner being cooked is a bit hard to take.
This morning I was showering and discovered that I seem to have come out in hives! That's a bit of a concern, but I did try a liquid panadol yesterday which tasted disgusting and made me feel sick - so it may have been a reaction to that - just have to wait and see. The hives are not itchy - just red and ugly.
I also stepped on the dodgy bathroom scales this morning and am 6kg lighter than this time last week. So that's a bonus! Haven't taken any measurements though as I am quite weary and frankly, can't be bothered!
So until next time (hopefully next week).... take care.
No comments:
Post a Comment