Welcome to my first post! I wanted to write a blog - but wasn't sure what to write about! I know that probably no one will be reading it but me - but I'm still a little cautious about what to share (just in case!)
But anyway - here goes.
Today is Friday 9 August 2013. In 10 days I will be going into hospital and undergoing a vertical sleeve gastrectomy - or gastric sleeve - operation. I am really excited about this, but also a little nervous.
I have been overweight since the late 1980s. I wasn't an overweight child, but when I hit about 21 things changed. I met my (now) husband and he was a qualified chef - so I was introduced to really yummy food! I don't blame him - he didn't force me to eat - but being happy and eating out a lot just packed the weight on. Then after we were married and our first child came along, I got bigger and bigger.
In 2003 I decided that I had had enough. I had over the years tried various diets, all of which worked a little, but nothing lasted. Then I heard about gastric banding or lap banding. I found a doctor and had the operation. I went from 135kg to 95kg. I was thrilled. But then problems set in - the band is adjustable and every time I had the band tightened I would get terrible reflux. So I would have to have it loosened - of course that meant I was able to eat more, so the weight started creeping back up. Eventually it was discovered that my band had slipped - which probably explained the reflux. So I had it removed and replaced. But even then the reflux was still an issue and I couldn't have the band as tight as was needed to control my appetite. So in March this year my second band was removed. I then had to wait until now to have the sleeve operation.
Unlike the band, the sleeve is permanent and not adjustable. A lot of people who were band patients have had the same issues as I did and have had the sleeve. I know that it won't be easy - but the results other people have had are every encouraging and I am hopeful that I will also be a success story.
My 10 day out pre-op statistics are:
Weight: 122kg (approximately - our bathroom scales are not the most accurate!)
Height: 168cm
I am taking other measurements too (bust, waist, hips, etc) but I am not going to publish them here!
ANYWAY.... fingers crossed as I start this journey....
This is an awful photo - but is probably the most recent - I tend to hide when cameras are around!

No comments:
Post a Comment